September 27, 2011

Weekend Recap

Finally home after a long weekend! Wanted to share a photographic recap of my trip to New York:

First (and more importantly) I became a godmother to the cutest baby ever! And yes, he is that big - almost 30 pounds! I don't really have any good pictures from the Christening, so here is one from Saturday's apple/pumpkin picking:


I ate my favorite meal at Caffe Macchiato:

(Italian prosciutto, super fresh mozzarella, amazing bread and homemade pesto)

Right around the corner from the cafe is the greatest ReStore I have yet to come across. If you don't know about it, Habitat for Humanity runs these ReStores in almost every city and state where they sell furniture, accessories, building material, you-name-it. Proceeds go toward building new Habitat homes. The ReStore in Atlanta is okay, but nothing can compare to Newburgh. Here are just two of the amazing things they have:



Want to guess the price? $75! Yes, only $75 for this solid wood table that comes with two leaves. I swear if I didn't live 934 miles away I would have bought that thing on the spot.

Then there was this guy:


I have never been a mid-century modern fan - ever - until I saw this baby. Of course it helps that Brian and I have been a little over the top with records, turntables and vintage receivers lately. This piece would have been a perfect place to set up the stuff we already have. It had the record player inside, but this model wasn't particularly good so we wouldn't have restored it or anything - just used it as furniture. Anyway, ready for the price?


Yes, I am serious. I was this close to buying it and just storing it in my parents shed until we could get it to Georgia, but alas, Brian convinced me otherwise. I did a realllly similar console online, so you can get a better visual of the shape...

(found here)

I also did some inventory in my parent's house for things that I can make-over. Here is the headboard that has been around since I was born:


I think this would look awesome spray painted black (ala The Lettered Cottage), white or even oil-rubbed bronze (my fav). Once my parents get done tackling the family room I am going to see if I can convince my mom to let me spray it.

I also found this tiered tray-thingy that would also get a fresh look with some white paint:


Last, but certainly not least, is this vintage typewriter that I am totally stealing from my mom. It belonged to a lady that my mom used to work for, which she used in school (probably around the 40's or 50's. It needs a good cleaning, but I can't wait to find a place for it in my house.



On top of all that fun stuff, I got to spend the last few days with my best friends, family and long lost friends I hadn't seen in years:


Cheers to that!



No comments:

Post a Comment