December 12, 2011

Impulse Buy

If you haven't yet figured this out, I'm not exactly a 'fly by the seat of your pants' kinda girl. I like to fully research pretty much everything and I over analyze most of the things I buy. Some I do buy things that I don't really need right away (like those Goodwill lamp shades) but those things are normally 'classics' that I know will be used at some point. All these said, the other day I came across this monstrosity:


It was huge, it was ugly and it was filled with 80 lbs of cracked seashells. Normal people wouldn't have blinked, but I thought it might have potential. It was $10 (a little steep for Goodwill), but then I remembered how much a glass lamp costs at Pottery Barn and I lugged it off the shelf. Carrying this was hilarious because everyone in the store was giving me 'you're crazy' sideways glances. I did leave that goofy little shade at the store - there was no way it belonged with that base and I already had some perfect drum shades at home.

Back at the house, I decided to take some shots of the lamp in my guest room to see if maybe the shells might work:



Even if I did like the shells, there were way too many in there. I unscrewed the bottom and emptied it out, keeping a small bag of the really pretty ones. Check out naked lamp:


Starting to see the potential? I really haven't decided which direction I want to go with it. My first thought was mercury glass:


There are tons of DIY mercury glass tutorials online, but I'm not 100% sold on the results. I am leaning toward spraying the metal with my beloved ORB and then putting some random items in there to see how it looks. Love Pottery Barn for inspiration:



What do you think? I'll definitely let you know what I finally decide!

No comments:

Post a Comment