December 7, 2011

Oh. Em. Gee.

Yes, I really am squealing like a little girl who just met Justin Bieber. Why? Well, let me start out with the back story...

I've been going back and forth (and sideways) with different ideas for guest room lamps. I pretty much change my mind every day. My latest choice was to attempt a map-covered lamp shade:


I thought it would be perfect if I could use a map of Cape Cod or Maine. Unfortunately I forgot that I live in Atlanta, and maps of Maine and the Cape are not exactly in stock at my local Barnes & Noble. I figured I would have to order online. Eventually I started to wish I had a really cool vintage map and I was kicking myself for not buying an antique atlas at the estate sale the other day. 

Today, my co-worker appears at my desk with this. It's a 1955 Esso Cruising Guide:



Check out the little lighthouses!


His aunt passed away and left him a farmhouse (with a barn) in Ohio. They had just brought back all her old furniture and he found this map in one of the piles. Since it was a map of Long Island (on one side) and southern Maine/Cape Cod on the other, he knew I would like it. Like it? I was dancing around the office like a giddy little kid on Christmas morning. Honestly, I love it so much that I don't think I can bring myself to cut it up for a lamp - I think I'm just going to frame it! I've been scouting out some Pinterest ideas:





I cannot wait to get home and see how it will look!





No comments:

Post a Comment