October 13, 2011

Candelabra

Meet the newest addition to the Murphy household:


Doesn't he (yes, I've decided it's a boy) remind you of one of my favorite Disney characters?



No? Well, he's still a special candelabra!

If you know me at all, you'll know that I love history. That's probably why I love vintage, antiques and people's old junk. For me, the thrill of finding things like this is finding out the story behind them. I would rather have a hand-me-down than something new any day of the week.

This little candelabra was on the head table at Brian's parent's wedding. It belonged to the restaurant where they held their reception, but as my mother-in-law tells it, her best friend had a few drinks and decided to steal it as a memento of the night. Stealing this is no joke, it weighs 6 pounds! I am dying to know where she hid it. For the past 35 years it's been hiding in his parent's attic, getting more tarnished by the second.



I whipped out the silver cleaner and flexed my muscles, but that gunk was stuck on there. Eventually I had to have Brian do it and he got some progress. Believe it or not, these pictures are after the progress! For now we've decided to tackle it in steps. Hopefully it'll be clean and sparkly by the end of the month. I have no idea what to do with it or where it should go, but I am such a sucker for a good story.

No comments:

Post a Comment